Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Secrets

Wow, thanks so much everyone for your comments on my last post. In this post, I want to talk about secrets. Every body has them - just how many do we have? Listed under 'favorite links' I have a link to a web-site called Post Secret. I look forward to checking it out every Monday. Basically, people send in home made postcards disclosing some secret and they are posted on this web-site every Sunday. Some of the secrets are dark, some are funny. I have noticed though, a lot of the secrets could potentially really hurt someone. Reading this web-site has really made me think about my own 'secrets'. I don't really have any super mysterious or interesting secrets, but I do have secrets. I'll tell you a secret, but you can't tell anyone, okay? Just kidding. Actually, I'll tell you 3 secrets.

1) I have a list of everyone I've ever kissed in my life and when I was younger, I used to rate them on a scale from 1-10. Of course I started writing 10, then 10+, then 10++, so I figure my rating scale was a bit skewed. Now with C in my life, I don't ever have to worry about that again.

2) I love to watch Jeopardy. I am not extremely intelligent and hardly get any answers right, but I really love to watch it. And I am facinated with how quickly those people know answers to questions I sometimes can't even pronounce.

3) When I was in college, I used to buy a lot of those rubbermaid or ziploc disposable storage containers. You're supposed to wash and reuse then again and again, but when I didn't feel like doing the dishes I threw them away.

So I know, my secrets are lame, but they were secrets until now. I'm sure if I thought long enough, I could come up with some more interesting ones. Certainly not as interesting or controversial as some of the ones on Post Secret. I guess no matter how serious or personal the secret is, it can be a secret as long as we allow it to be.

4 comments:

LoriLoo310 said...

Ooh, I love secrets! Here are some of mine:

1. I'm not as organized as people think I am. I have a secret closet full of all sorts of random stuff that I can't bring myself to throw away.
2. I don't like calling people. I love receiving calls, but I hate making them.
3. The only reason I was so involved in college was because I couldn't stand my roommate and didn't want to go home. I guess I should thank her for forcing me into some of the best times of my life.

proudmamablogga said...

I'm very interested in the Post Secret phenomenon. It seems that the secrets are used therapeutically, although I can't find that information on the site. Sometimes I try to think of what I would write, and it's usually lame. But once in a while, i uncover something that makes me realize there's something in my life I need to deal with.

Maybe that's what it's for?

vine street said...

Hmm. This topic made me think of "family secrets" and the interesting and unfortunate things that happen as a result of those.

Some families have secrets that people talk around, or vaguely about, but never directly...sometimes it's been in the family for generations, or maybe not very long..but regardless of how long the secret has been there, the reasons are many why they choose to not talk about it, why it's taboo....perhaps there is embarrassment or shame associated with it...or fear that someone may reject the family...or that someone will repeat the same mistake.

In my own family, my dad has tried really hard to work against having "family secrets"---he used to tell us growing up that there was no good to be had in keeping the type of secret that, if remained untold, created confusion and distrust, and fear among family members. So he always tried to be open with us about he and my mom, finances, relationships in the family, even the ugly ones, such as where addiction or perhaps abuse were occurring or had occurred.

Because of this, I feel the same way about family secrets. I think that they initially exist because people want to protect those they love, but ironically they end up causing a lot of hurt and pain.

Anonymous said...

Nice post...

The disposable plastic container part was particularly ingenious :)

Here's an interesting video about secrets:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k7YRanRtxkk