Monday, April 20, 2009

Dear Nebraska,

My family and I are moving away in just a few short weeks, but before we go - I want to let you know how I feel about you. I love you Nebraska! You have been a great home for us. We found you right off of I-80 and are so happy we did. After driving down 'O' street and realizing this is where we'd spend the next 3 years of our lives, we took a deep breath and made the most of it. You have made it easy for us, Nebraska.

We moved in on your hottest day of the summer in 2006 and C was ready to turn back around, but we stayed. We love our little apartment on Abbey Court and even considered naming our baby after it. We love the great places you have to offer like Runza, Braeda, Culvers, DeLeon's, and the crushed ice machine at 33rd and Holdredge. The Winter Quarters Temple, the Omaha Zoo, Husker Games, the College World Series, the NCAA Gymnastics Championships, and St. Elizabeth's Hospital.

You have endless windy days and icy days and steamy hot days, but you have cheap golf and a nice bike path. You have rows and rows of cornfields that can be beautiful with the right set of eyes. You have the Trendwood Ward and strawberries on sale, and the friendliest grocery stores. You have big tall trees, beautiful flowers, yucky brown lakes, and the West Nile Virus.

I love that people don't care whether you drive a fancy car or a beat up one, wear designer jeans or not, have the latest hairstyles, or a big diamond ring. But if you don't wear red on game day - they know your name and you're "that guy".

To the state who brought us our little cornhusker and the best 3 years of our life so far - Thank you! We love you and we'll miss you Nebraska.

Love,
US

2 comments:

Angie said...

Aw, it's so bittersweet to leave one place and move on isn't it? I feel the same way about Ann Arbor. I'm so excited for you guys. I'm glad that Nebraska was so amazing for you guys and I hope AZ is just as wonderful.

Mikey & Melissa said...

Man, you make me miss Nebraska like crazy. I love that place.