I know I'm a little late, but my dad turned 55 this month. He is officially a senior citizen. There is a t-shirt I saw while walking around in San Diego that said, "Gimmie my D*$N discount!" (only it really said the bad word) I wish I would have gotten it for him, but I didn't. So since I didn't get him a t-shirt or send him a present, I wanted to share 55 things I love about my dad.
1) His idea of dinner consists of a Diet Coke and a bag of Peanut M&M's - a perfectly balanced meal.
2) He is so wise and always knows the right thing to do
3) He likes to watch shows like "Big Brother" and "Desperate Housewives"
4) He took us to Yellowstone for vacation EVERY SINGLE YEAR - I mean, seriously, how many times can you see Old Faithful! And I loved every single minute of it, even if I didn't act like it.
5) When I was in High School and we didn't see each other much, I would leave notes on the garage door for him to come talk to me at night when he got home, and he always did.
6) Even though I may have caused only a few of the gray hairs, he always believed I would make the right decision
7) My dad seems to find his friend Richard driving in the most random places
8) He would prefer to wear blue jeans any day!
9) My dad played the tuba and thought it was a great idea for me to join band. Even if it's the dorkiest thing in the world, I loved it and am so glad I did it.
10) You could ask my dad to go to Ron's and he would be delighted to take you.
11) Even if we didn't need anything at Sams, we went almost every single Saturday and would get Sonic for lunch after.
12) My dad is the smartest person I know and I know a lot of people.
13) My dad is the most humble person I know and I know a lot of not humble people. (including myself)
14) I made a little note that said, "I love you, Dad" and he kept it in his car for years.
15) I still have his old cell phone number and work number memorized because I knew I could call him anytime.
16) He agreed that an emergency expense included a spontaneous visit home from me while I was a college student in Idaho
17) My dad fully supported my decision to go on a mission
18) And he wrote me a letter every single week
19) Got any good blonde jokes?
20) My dad trusted me. He has always seen more potential in me than I may have seen in myself.
21) He used to weigh himself everyday and write it down on a little yellow legal pad in his bathroom drawer. I liked to sneak in there and see the numbers go up up up... or down down down. (probably due to the stress of me as a teenager)
22) Quick Trip anyone?
23) I can only recall 2 mistakes my dad has ever made. I am sure there are more, but I can only think of 2.
24) He used to have one on one chats with us on Monday nights for Family Home Evening. I remember looking forward to those visits.
25) I remember one time when he answered his cell phone during a meeting at work. I don't know if he was just trying to get out of the meeting or not, but regardless, I appreciated that he took the call.
26) He has always been very supportive of my decisions, even the bad ones. He knew I would come around - and I did.
27) My dad loves football! and BYU, but mostly BYU football
28) My dad is a good friend. He has had many of his friends for over 30 years. He is a good and loyal friend.
29) He has a great sense of humor. You just have to listen carefully.
30) He is currently serving as a mission president in the Chile Osorno Mission
31) I know he is the best mission president those missionaries could possibly have
32) He is the most loving person and non-judgemental person I know, and remember, I know a lot of people.
33) He loves to go for drives in his Jeep
34) My dad is very thoughtful and caring of others.
35) He doesn't like the smell of hospitals, but if you are in one, he will visit you.
36) Sonic Happy Hour is his favorite time of day.
37) He loves to spoil my mom with beautiful dresses and bathrobes, or dresses that look like bathrobes.
38) My dad has great taste in music.
39) My dad picked the best woman in the world to be his wife and she is my best mom.
40) He worked really really hard every day.
41) My dad has always said, "The more you save now, the more you'll have later." Or is it, "The more you buy now, the more you'll have later?"
42) He is patient. And trust me, the people in my family require a lot of patience. (especially me, and my mom, and my sister, and...)
43) His favorite color is Red, I mean Blue.
44) My dad can read and read and read.... he never gets sick of reading. Maybe that is why he's so smart!
45) He takes great pictures, especially of his feet.
46) We could go on a cruise once a month and he would be a happy camper!
47) My dad thinks baby Sara is super cute, and so do I.
48) He allowed my mother to give us rhyming names because she was on drugs and I love it.
49) My dad has a Facebook page
50) He got a special phone set up, so I can talk to them in Chile any time I want.
51) He always says just the right thing at just the right time.
52) When I was a little flustered with Sara one day, he bought her a walker to help keep her busy. (I am so grateful for that little walker)
53) My dad has always put his family first and I never doubted it.
54) Even though I haven't been the easiest child, teenager, and adult to deal with - I know that he loves me and thinks about me and prays for me every day.
55) My dad is perfect. Not in the sense that he is freed from sin, although he may be that, he is perfect because he is my dad and I love him.
So thanks dad for being my dad. And thank you for picking my mom and thank you for loving me.
4 hours ago